Learn to podcast the smart way
With Pat Flynn
So, you’ve decided to start a podcast? Awesome! A podcast is one of the best ways to build a super-loyal audience and grow your business, even from scratch. But where do you start?
There’s a lot of planning that goes into creating a podcast and your head is probably full of questions like...
- How do I come up with episode content?
- What equipment and software should I use?
- How do I get my show loaded into Apple Podcasts?
- How do I make sure people find my show?
With this course, you will get a step-by-step walkthrough of the entire process of launching a great podcast. With high-quality videos (that aren't too long) and examples along the way, you'll have your new podcast up and running in no time, so you can start growing and delighting your audience.
Your audience is waiting to hear from you.
What you'll learn in Power-Up Podcasting®
Hint: More than just talking into a microphone
Through each stage of the course, you'll learn everything you need to know about creating and launching a successful podcast:
The how and why of podcasting
You'll gain a deep perspective on how and why podcasting is a great platform for both you and your listeners, and how to create engaging content that grows your audience and keeps them coming back.
Mastering the technical elements
You'll gain the know-how required to hit the airwaves like a professional with an in-depth understanding of podcasting equipment, voice recording, audio editing, interviewing, mp3 tagging, hosting, and publishing.
Setting up your website, show notes, and more
You will learn how to get your show published, including developing show notes, finding a website or blog for your podcast, submitting your show to iTunes, and creating accurate transcriptions of your episodes.
How to launch your podcast with an unforgettable bang
Effectively promote and market your launch on social media, be a guest on other podcasts in similar niches, write amazing blog posts that draw in listeners, and maintain your podcasting brilliance for years to come.
Here's What You Get with Power-Up Podcasting
An action plan to take you from brainstorming through your show launch
Pat Flynn, long-time award-winning podcast host, will lay out everything you need to do to launch your show. Power-Up Podcasting takes you sequentially through the podcast creation process, beginning with crafting your show's purpose and culminating in your show's launch.
Video course content with step-by-step technical training
Don't let the technical side of producing your show overwhelm you. The course contains advice on exactly what equipment you need to buy, instruction for how to set it up, walkthroughs of recording and editing, and everything you need to know to publish your show. Lifetime access to the course content means that you can work at your own pace and come back for a refresher at any time.
Ongoing help from Pat and the SPI community
You get access to Pat's weekly private Office Hours Zoom call, which is only open to course students. You also get access to the Power-Up Podcasting space inside the SPI Academy, our private Circle community for growing entrepreneurs. Ask questions, get feedback, and support your podcasting peers.
Upgrade your experience & accelerate growth with the All-Access Pass
Combining innovative curriculum with the power of community, community-led courses give you the educational pathways to develop your skills as an entrepreneur and grow your business.
Not only will you have access to this course, but SPI’s library of innovative courses and workshops, with new content being added monthly. Custom pathways and curricula are geared to meet you where you are on your journey and will elevate your success as a community of experts and peers keep you engaged and on track while you apply your new skills to your business.
Individual Course Purchase vs. All-Access Pass
$499 one-time purchase
Best for those who want long-term access to course content and prefer a more DIY approach
- Lifetime access to the Power-Up Podcasting course curriculum
- Weekly office hours with Pat Flynn
- Peer-to-peer messaging with other members in the SPI Academy
- One dedicated course space in our SPI Academy to talk to other students and support each other
$179/quarter or $599/year
Best for those who want to level up their skillset through multiple learning options
- Access to the curriculum of SPI's entire catalog while you hold the pass
- Weekly office hours with Pat Flynn
- Peer-to-peer messaging with other members in the SPI Academy
- Monthly workshops on highly requested content
- 4–8 week-long cohort-based Accelerators
- Pathways featuring recommended curriculum paths to help you start your idea, launch your podcast, or boost your income (with more pathways on the way)
- Programming designed to help you know what to focus on now
- Accountability partner matching
- Supplemental documentation, tutorials, checklists, and guidance for all our courses, exclusive to All-Access
- Member-only channels and community forums in the Learner Community
- Access to SPI Academy member directory
- Programming focused on the early days of your online brand and business
- Access to a monthly AMA with SPI experts
Meet your course instructor
Hey there, my name is Pat Flynn and I’m what you might call an “OG Podcaster.” All that means is that I’ve been doing this for a VERY long time, so if you’re looking for someone with the most experience, look no further.
Since 2010, I’ve recorded over 1,500 episodes of podcasts and have had over 75 million downloads across several podcasts, including the top-ranked and award-winning show, The Smart Passive Income Podcast.
But more importantly, I’ve taught tens of thousands of people just like you how to start, grow and monetize their podcasts.
I’ve even contributed to the start of some really BIG podcasts, like The Tim Ferriss Show.
I know what works and what doesn’t, because I’ve been there. It’s not just about how to start a podcast, but how to grow a podcast, and turn it into something that could potentially generate an income for you.
That’s my specialty. I want to make sure that when you start your podcast too, you’ll have the best chance to get a strong listener base and turn it into something bigger.
There are many challenges in starting and growing a podcast, but my proven online course, Power-Up Podcasting®, has helped thousands of other students. Now, it’s your turn to grab the mic, share your message, and build your loyal fan base.
How this course sets you up for success
Starting a podcast is hard work, but you're not alone
I know all too well how intimidating it can be to start a podcast. It took me 18 months from when I first announced that I was starting my podcast until I actually launched it.
I got stuck! Part of it was learning all the technical aspects (I didn’t have a course to help me get started) but mostly, I was scared. I was so concerned with wanting to do it “right” that it kept me from the most important step, getting started.
That’s why I’ve created this course! This is what I wish I had when I first started.
I want you to have a place to go when you have questions or you need a little encouragement. Power-Up Podcasting® has built-in ways for you to get help, whether you're looking for feedback on your podcast logo, stuck with an editing problem, or you just need a little pep-talk before your big launch.
That's why I've set up two ways for you to get support:
Weekly office hours with Pat Flynn
Sometimes you just need to ask the teacher a question. That's why I host a weekly Zoom call that's only available to course students. Get your questions answered and learn from the questions of the other SPI course students.
Access to the private SPI Academy Circle community
Can't wait until office hours? Ask your question inside the SPI Academy!
The SPI Academy is our private student community—the place where you can ask questions when you're stuck and share ideas to get honest feedback from other entrepreneurs like you.
First-time course students also receive a free one-month trial of our brand-new Learner Community, our paid community for people who are in the process of building their business. You'll get access to online events and discussions geared toward growing an online business.
The Academy is hosted on the Circle platform and moderated by Team SPI; this is not a Facebook free-for-all. You'll find instructions inside the course for how to join using your course login.
Don't take my word for it
Real Power-Up Podcasting® students share their experiences with the course and how it has benefitted their businesses (and even changed their lives).
These are real students, just like you. They knew they had a message they wanted to share, just like you. Power-Up Podcasting® helped them start their podcast to share that message. Let it help you, too.
I wanted to have a bigger impact.
I always loved working with my mentees and I wanted to do that on a bigger scale...I knew a podcast was the way to do that but I had no clue how to get started...literally within a month, The Epic Success Podcast with Dr. Shannon Irvine is live!...It's by far the best course I've ever taken."
— Dr. Shannon Irvine
Even in my 60s, I went for it, because Pat showed me it's doable,
and I don't believe that there's anything you can pay for that will give you the feeling I'm experiencing myself, doing my show. Nothing. There's no amount of money, because this feeling comes from what I'm already getting back, and I've only just gotten started."
— Dr. Barbara A. Cohen, Ph.D., Host of Harness Your ADHD Power
These are real students, just like you. They knew they had a message they wanted to share with a larger audience—just like you do. Power-Up Podcasting® helped them start their podcast to share that message. Let it help you, too.
- Lesson 01: Welcome to the Pre-Launch! (1:22)
- Lesson 02: Your Podcast Equipment (5:01)
- Lesson 03: How Podcasting Works (5:55)
- Lesson 04: Common Roadblocks (and How to Stop Them) (7:29)
- Lesson 05: What's Your Show About? (3:29)
- Lesson 06: Your Show Details (24:44)
- Lesson 07: Podcast Artwork (11:32)
- Lesson 08: Voiceovers and Royalty-Free Music (6:53)
- Lesson 09: Let's Recap Step 1 (2:49)
- Lesson 01: Welcome to Step 2! Excited Yet? (3:06)
- Lesson 02: Your Show's Introduction (10:05)
- Lesson 03: What Should You Include in Your First Episode? (4:36)
- Lesson 04: Content (What Do You Talk About?) (9:21)
- Lesson 05: Guests and Interviews (12:41)
- Lesson 06: Calls to Action (9:42)
- Lesson 07: Recap of Step 2 (2:26)
- Lesson 01: Welcome to Step 3! Let's Do This! (0:39)
- Lesson 02: Hooking Up Your Equipment (11:09)
- Lesson 03: Setting Up Your Recording Software (53:43)
- Lesson 04: Master Files and Organization (33:12)
- Lesson 05: Recording an Interview (on the Internet) (17:44)
- Lesson 06: Recording an Interview (in Person) (6:39)
- Lesson 07: Recording Tips (14:24)
- Lesson 08: Interviewing Tips (Before and While You Record) (12:27)
- Lesson 09: Putting Together Your Show (30:29)
- Lesson 10: Recap of Step 3 (0:36)
- Lesson 01: Welcome to Step 4! (1:08)
- Lesson 02: Export Your First Episode (9:47)
- Lesson 03: Auphonic (Optional, but Awesome!) (4:25)
- Lesson 04: How to Title Your Podcast Episode (8:48)
- Lesson 05: Your Podcast Hosting Company (16:52)
- Lesson 06: Upload Your First Episode (19:39)
- Lesson 07: Understanding Your PODCAST RSS FEED (0:45)
- Lesson 08: Setting Up Your Apple Podcasts Account (1:28)
- Lesson 09: Webpage Setup and Show Notes (14:33)
- Lesson 10: Transcriptions (3:06)
- Lesson 11: You Made It through Step 4! (1:53)
- Lesson 01: Welcome to Launch Week! (1:23)
- Lesson 02: Submit Your Feed to Podcast Directories (13:18)
- Lesson 03: Remind Your Network and Audience the Show Is Coming Soon (4:33)
- Lesson 04: What to Do After Getting Approved by Apple Podcasts (4:03)
- Lesson 05: The Day Before Your Launch (3:10)
- Lesson 06: Happy Launch Day! (4:45)
- Lesson 01: The Process for Publishing Future Episodes (2:30)
- Lesson 02: Stats and What They Mean (17:01)
- Lesson 03: Podcast Reviews (and How to Get Them) (5:40)
- Lesson 04: Getting Exposure on Directories (7:40)
- Lesson 05: How to Remain Consistent and Keep Growing (3:39)
- Lesson 06: Recommended Resources for Existing Podcasters (1:19)
- Lesson 07: Growing Your Email List with Your Podcast (12:52)
Frequently asked questions
ABOUT THE COURSE
When does the course start and finish?
The course is self-paced and you may take as long as you need to complete it. There is no time limit for completion.
How long will I have access to the course?
You will have lifetime access to Power-Up Podcasting when you purchase the individual course. If you purchase the All-Access Pass, you will have access for as long as you hold the pass.
How do I access the course materials?
Log in to SPI Courses by clicking Sign Up/Login in the upper right of this page or by going here.
Course videos are not available for download and must be viewed through the platform. Some items, such as course worksheets, will be available to download.
What skills will this course teach me?
Power-Up Podcasting® will teach you how to set up your recording equipment, the fundamentals of recording and editing audio, principles for good recording (both solo and interviewing others with remote software), how to prepare a podcast file for upload, setting up your podcast host, submitting your show to directories, and give you a basic plan for launching your show, including what you should include on your website and how to announce your show to your audience.
What equipment/tools will I need to complete the course?
Initially, you just need a computer with an internet connection. The first step of the course will walk you through the equipment you will need and our recommendations, including a microphone setup. The course offers tutorials on several types of audio recording software, including Audacity, which is free. Expect to spend $12–20/month for podcast file hosting if you go with our recommended host.
PURCHASING THE COURSE
Can I pay with PayPal?
Yes! On the checkout page under the "Billing Information" section, switch from the Credit Card radio button to the PayPal radio button. Choose your country and click "Enroll in Course" to be directed to the PayPal checkout. PayPal is not available for the All-Access Pass payment.
What is Wizebank?
Wizebank is a payment solution that gives you the freedom to learn now and pay later—with no interest and added fees! When you place an order through Wizebank, the unique approvals system reviews your account to determine what sort of repayment plan we can offer. Options may include equal installments over 3, 6, 9, or 12 months. Wizebank is only available to customers in the United States and Canada.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
Oh no! We don't want that! We offer a 15-day money back guarantee on individual course purchases. If you are unhappy with the course for any reason, let us know within the first 15 days and we will refund your payment. This does not apply to the All-Access Pass. All-Access Pass purchases are non-refundable.
What do I do if I need help?
For questions about your billing or accessing the course materials, email [email protected]
If you have a question about how you put the course methods to work in your own business, we encourage you to ask those in the SPI Academy or at Pat Flynn's Office Hours.
My Honest Disclaimer:
Hi. Pat Flynn, founder of SPI Media here. I want to make sure you understand this is not a get rich quick scheme. The results I've achieved are not typical, and your results will vary significantly. I’ve put in years of effort, and have been very fortunate. Not all businesses succeed, and this product will not guarantee your success. This offering is an education tool. Always remember that running a business involves risk. Some businesses succeed, and some fail. Any testimonials are real and valid, but are not guarantees you will obtain the same results.
You should assume that any links leading you to products or services are affiliate links that I will receive compensation from just to be safe. Having said that, there are millions of products and services on the web. I only promote those products or services that I have investigated and truly feel deliver value to you.